F510 & F525 Starter – INSPECT STARTER—PA420A/PA540A-AS02
1. Before disassembly, mark body and covers for correct alignment during reassembly.
2. Separate pinion stopper halves (E and G) to remove retaining clip (F).
3. Inspect parts for wear or damage.
4. Measure brushes (M). Replace brushes as a set if length of any one is less than 6 mm (0.240 in.).
5. Test starter armature and brushes. (See procedures in this group.)
6. Apply a thin coat of multipurpose grease to:
—sliding surfaces of armature and solenoid shift lever.
—armature shaft spline.
—points where shaft contacts cover.
7. Assemble starter, using alignment marks.